Phase 3C Update
I’ve decided to break Phase 3 of the Little Holey Vengeance pedal board build into subsections. I’ll be posting mini-updates over the next couple of weeks since the finishing process can take so long.
This is Phase 3C.
Well the finishing is now proceeding fairly smoothly. As I mentioned before the lacquer sanding sealer was causing some issues. The primer coat did indeed peel right off of the board. So I scraped it down and primed it with Zinsser BIN, a shellac primer in an alcohol vehicle. It seems to have done the trick. I checked back a few hours later and the BIN seemed to be perfectly sound. I proceeded to re-prime the entire board in the gray acrylic primer before starting my finish coats of olive drab. I will never touch the Minwax sealer again. It’s the only lacquer I’ve had this problem with so far.
Here are a few photos.
You can see through the paint a bit on the first coat. I did it pretty thin. I applied two more full coats to all sides of the boards before I was done with the finish coats. I thought I took a photo of the finished pieces but I must have forgotten. Notice the blackout inside the holes. I had to hand paint that in before doing the green. That was tedious.
The next step was my signage. I couldn’t find any stencil plastic around this town so I bought a thicker plastic divider for separating pages in a binder and cut it out of that.
Then I taped it into place on the shelf.
I used a fine brush to dab the paint into the stencil. As I feared it seeped under the edges a bit. I’ll have some cleanup to do later. Taping the design would have been better but much more difficult. Ideally an airbrush would come in handy here but I don’t have access to one.
While the signage was drying I started on the bullet holes. I just free-handed these because I didn’t want them to look too uniform. I can’t say I did the best job. I haven’t seen enough real bullet holes in metal to get it quite right. Also I’m not much of an artist…at all.
Here is the finished product for now. I’m considering some shading on the bullet holes but may drop the idea. In an attempt to make something look better I could easily make it worse since I don’t have a clue how to get the results I want.
That’s it for the paint on this part. I’ll do some touch-up on the lettering and decide if I want to do any more to the bullet holes. I still have the back of the board to paint the bullet holes on. Right now I’m just waiting for paint to dry.
I will take the opportunity to show you one more items I’m adding to the board. This is a plastic strip I came across that I decided to make a channel strip out of.
It was a white PVC like material to begin with. I sprayed it black with Krylon Fusion. I intend to cut it down and drill holes in it to mount 1/4″ jacks. I’ll have a set to connect directly into the amp on one side of the strip and my pedals will all plug into an identical set on the other side. Then I’ll add a second set that will hook into the effects loop on my amp and another corresponding set to connect any pedals going into the loop. It should help swap configurations a little easier and simplify setup when I play.
That’s it for this update. I hope to get some more done on Thursday. Thanks for reading.